- THINGS TO DO
- ABOUT US
- SUPPORT US
- WHAT'S NEW!
Armory Memorial Chapel
Shiloh Baptist Church, known today as Amory Memorial Chapel, is located near Boca Grande Lighthouse in Gasparilla Island State Park. It was built in 1959 by Roger and Louise Amory for the community of African Americans who lived on Gasparilla Island. The Amorys also built and endowed the Johann Fust Community Library in the village of Boca Grande; the library owned the chapel until 1986 when it was donated to the Gasparilla Island Conservation and Improvement Association (GICIA).
In 1987, GICIA gave the building to the State of Florida, and it became part of Gasparilla Island State Park. In 1996 the chapel, which had stood vacant and unused for more than a decade, was restored with funds from GICIA, the Boca Grande Woman’s Club, Lee County Historic Preservation Board, and The Venice Foundation.
In 1998, Barrier Island Parks Society, which operates Boca Grande Lighthouse Museum for the park, took over the administration of rentals of the Chapel for meetings and events. Today all proceeds from the rental program benefit the Lighthouse Museum.