We at BIPS believe in holding ourselves to the highest standards of ethical and professional behavior. It is even stated in our policy. Here are our Code of Ethics.
Code of Ethics
It is the policy of Barrier Island Parks Society that its board member, officer or employee shall uphold the highest standards of ethical, professional behavior. To that end, the board member, officer and employee shall dedicate themselves to carrying out the mission of this organization and shall:
1) Treat with respect and consideration all persons, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, maternity, marital or family status, disability, age or national origin.
2) Engage in carrying out the mission of Barrier Island Parks Society in an honorable and professional manner with integrity and dignity.
3) Not solicit or accept anything of value including a gift, loan, reward, promise of future employment, favor or service that would influence their official action, vote or judgment in favor of the giver.
4) Not accept any compensation, payment, or thing of value when the person knows, or, with reasonable care, should know that it was given to influence a vote or other action in which the CSO board member, officer, or employee was expected to participate in his or her official capacity.
5) Not be prohibited from voting on a matter affecting his or her salary, expenses, or other compensation as a CSO board member or officer, as provided by law.
6) Not corruptly use or attempt to use one’s official position or any property or resource which may be within one’s trust to secure a special privilege, benefit or exemption.
7) Not disclose or use information not available to members of the general public gained by one’s official position for one’s own personal gain or benefit or for the personal benefit or gain of any other person or business entity.
10) Not hold an employee and board officer position at the same time.
11) Accept as a personal duty the responsibility to keep up to date on emerging issues and to conduct themselves with professional competence, fairness, impartiality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
12) Not personally represent another person or entity for compensation before the governing body of the CSO of which he or she was a board member, officer, or employee for a period of two years after he or she vacates that office or employment position.
13) Abstain from voting in an official capacity or participate in decisions that would result in a direct or indirect financial benefit to them, a family member, friend or business associate. When abstaining, the board member or officer prior to the vote being taken, shall make reasonable effort to disclose the nature of their interest as a public record in a memorandum to be entered into the board minutes. If it is not possible to file a memorandum prior to the vote, the memorandum must be entered into the board minutes of the meeting no later than 15 days after the vote.
14) Conduct organizational and operational duties with positive leadership exemplified by open communication, creativity, dedication, and compassion.
15) Hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, volunteers, board members, officers and employees in the performance of duties supporting the mission of Barrier Island Parks Society.
16) Collaborate with and support other professionals in carrying out the mission of Barrier Island Parks Society.
17) Recognize that the chief function of Barrier Island Parks Society at all times is to serve the best interests of its affiliated parks, members and community.
18) Abide by the By-Laws, and Policies and Procedures set in place by Barrier Island Parks Society.
19) Serve with respect, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness in carrying out the Mission of Barrier Island Parks Society.
20) Demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness, and honesty in all activities in order to inspire confidence and trust in such activities.
21) Avoid any interest or activity that is in conflict with the conduct of their official duties.
22) Strive for personal and professional excellence and encourage the professional developments of others.